1/19/2017

Yes We Can. Today, tomorrow, forever.

"Nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change," he told us. And he proved it.

As the sun sets on the last full day of the Obama era, I fondly recall the time spent at the Mt. Pleasant campaign office with some great staff and activists... watching the inauguration from my room in Kulhavi Hall... seeing him achieve landmark legislative success... seeing him announce the bin Laden mission... registering voters... celebrating his re-election... going to DC for an OFA anniversary celebration... marriage equality... and of course, meeting so many people who shared a passion for Obama and the movement he inspired.

But he alone didn't make his presidency possible, much less successful. It was all of us.

So to everyone who had anything to do with the success of the Obama campaigns and presidency - from the staff who crashed on supporters' couches to the local party leaders - thank you. It has been an honor to share the Obama era with you. And it is comforting to know that you will be around well into the future.

And the memories of Richard Holbrooke, Beau Biden, Alex Okrent, Jake Brewer, Jean Biden, Dorothy Scott, Dorothy Newman, Gary Conrad, Alice Corey, Brianne Hovey, Al Gaunt, and so many others will be there to inspire and guide us along the way.

But most of all, to Barack Hussein Obama... Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama... Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr.... Dr. Jill Tracy Jacobs Biden... and your families.... thank you. Thank you so much for leading, for serving, for inspiring.

That creed - "written into the founding documents... whispered by slaves and abolitionists... sung by immigrants... pioneers who pushed westward... workers who organized, women who reached for the ballot box, a President who chose the moon as our new frontier, and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land" - is now ours to own.

Yes We Can!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your page.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hi there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll certainly digg it and in my
opinion recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
I am quite certain I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when people get together and share opinions.
Great blog, continue the good work!

Anonymous said...

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity concerning unexpected feelings.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Florida! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to check out
your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you provide
here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how
quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
Anyhow, fantastic blog!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.