8/21/2006

Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) on GOP: "I think we've lost our way"

Senator Chuck Hagel is one of the more moderate Republican US Senators, at least foreign-policy-wise. And he's from Nebraska. If he were from a place such as Michigan or New England, I am tempted to think he'd almost be a Democrat.

Why do I say that? Well, Take a look at this article, where Hagel talks frankly about the state of his party:

Republicans have lost their way when it comes to many core GOP principles and may be in jeopardy heading into the fall elections, Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) says.

Hagel, a possible presidential candidate in 2008, said Sunday that the GOP today is very different party from the one when he first voted epublican.


"First time I voted was in 1968 on top of a tank in the Mekong Delta," said Hagel, a Vietnam veteran. "I voted a straight Republican ticket. The reason I did is because I believe in the Republican philosophy of governance. It's not what it used to be. I don't think it's the same today."

Hagel asked: "Where is the fiscal responsibility of the party I joined in '68? Where is the international engagement of the party I joined — fair, free trade, individual
responsibility, not building a bigger government, but building a smaller government?"

....

"I think we've lost our way," Hagel said. "And I think the Republicans are going to be in some jeopardy for that and will be held accountable."


Of course, he's not the first Republican to say something like that. Former Michigan Governor Bill Milliken endorsed John Kerry in 2004 for much the same reason.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Some of my Republican friends have been voicing the same complaints Hagel brings up. They feel the party has lost its way too. As one of my friends put it: "These are not my father's Republicans. He wouldn't even recognize them if he were alive today."