11/10/2007

Bits of Tid: November 10, 2007

  • The Employee Non-Discrimination Act was passed in the House! Now on to the Senate!

  • Here's a question for you:
    What do you love about our state? What do you want to change? What's your best vision for Michigan's future?
    Have an answer to that? You might want to take part in the Center for Michigan's Envision Michigan competition.

  • Part of saving our planet involves changes in government policy; part of it involves making businesses and institutions more eco-friendly (see previous post); still another part will involve personal action by each of us. Are you living a sustainable life? American Public Media's Consumer Consequences game can help you find out.

  • Looks like Mike Bishop could be the target of a recall attempt.

  • Some serious issues are facing our world, as evidenced by the Latest News section of CNN.com. As of 8PM Saturday, the seventh and eighth stories in that section were "It's a boy for 'View' co-host Hasselbeck" and "Thirsty? Try a refreshing ham soda."

    Thank you, CNN, for raising awareness of these very volatile issues we face in America. Not.

  • Here's a new phrase I like: Green collar jobs.

  • And here's one I don't like: "Get real." Yep, it's my latest submission to Lake Superior State University's Banished Words List. My reasoning?
    Do you ever hear people telling you to "get fake" or "get unreal?" I know I haven't.
  • I haven't been blogging much. I realize that. I've had a lot on my plate. However, my academic load between now and Thanksgiving is as light as a college junior could expect, so maybe I'll post more. I am working on posts which will include:
    • A unique spin on this past week's elections;
    • A preview of 2008 Congressional elections;
    • An item discussing presidential veto overrides through the years;
    • Energy efficiency tips;
    • A few more photos from around campus;
    • Thoughts on young voters, incl. my ideas on how to actually get more of them voting; and
    • Another late-night humor post!

No comments: