Below I have identified several issues which I think are very important - along with one non-issue that, let's just say, doesn't really affect the safety and welfare of the American populace and thus doesn't need that much attention.
So take a guess: which of these issues could I care less about?
- Weakened national security due to the Iraq War
- Global warming
- Reliance on foreign, nonrenewable fuels
- The foreclosure crisis
- The looming water shortage
- Loss of wetlands, forests, etc.
- Racial and gender inequalities
- Hostility towards immigrants, non-Christians, and the GLBT community
- The gap between rich and poor
- An out-of-whack budget
- An arrogant foreign policy
- Nearly 50 million Americans without health insurance
- Neglect of our veterans
- An embarrassing foreign policy
- A crumbling infrastructure
- Lack of access to technology for millions of Americans
- America's education system lagging behind that of other nations
- Corruption and scandals
- Corporate influence
- Mistreatment of American workers
- The erosion of our basic rights as Americans
- Obama's pastor's remarks
Folks, don't be distracted. Let's make sure our leaders (and the media) focus on real issues.