1/02/2009

Yes, I make New Year's Resolutions

...and I got 9 resolutions for '09.

  1. Give more of my time and talent. I've given treasure before, but not much time and talent.
  2. Donate blood at least four times this year. I just did earlier this week, but that was the first time in almost three years. Let me tell you, as physically drained as you feel, that is outweighed by knowing that you did something good for others.
  3. Work to build a stronger, more progressive Democratic Party. 2008 was great for Democrats at the ballot box. Will 2009 be great in the policy arena? Will our Party become more responsive to the concerns of its members? I sure as hell hope so, and intend to work to make it happen!
  4. Become a better leader. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the books I have regarding leadership. But what we read about leadership in books cannot entirely substitute for real-world experience.
  5. Make at least 25 contacts with lawmakers. Last year's goal was 20.
  6. Inspire other people to become better citizens and leaders. Be to others what my friend Dan was to me.
  7. Swim more. It's a great way to get a great workout. Look out, Michael Phelps - see ya in London!
  8. Finish reading at least six books this year. Perhaps six of the following seven:
    • The Audacity of Hope by our President-elect;
    • The Assault on Reason by Al Gore;
    • The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman;
    • Blood of the Liberals by George Packer;
    • 1776 by David McCullogh;
    • Everyday Leadership by Dan Mulhern;
    • Crossing the Threshold of Hope by Pope John Paul II
  9. Bring happiness, hope, and comfort to others. We could all use some more light in our lives!

No comments: